Effective Leadership and Management, Fall 2017
Social Media Marketing Strategies, Fall 2015
Introduction to Marketing, Summer 2015
User Experience, Winter 2013
Advanced html/css, Fall 2012
Bachelor of Fine Arts
Graphic Design, 2009
– project management
Balsamiq Mockups 3:
– wireframes, sketch
Ruby on Rails front-end integration
Adobe XD – UX prototypes
After Effects – Motion Graphics
University of California at Berkeley
California Golden Bears: 2013-Present
- Initially hired as Web Manager in December 2013, named interim Creative Director in December 2015, then Director, Brand Creative and Digital Services shortly thereafter
- Current primary responsibilities:
- Creative direction and project management for Creative Services – Graphic design: digital, print, social media; video (with Director, Video): videoboard, features, commercials, social media; facilities branding; photography; apparel design; ticket sales, development, marketing and social media visual support
- Brand management of Cal Athletics’ identity and marks, including usage guidelines and apparel enforcement
- Liaison between over 40 teams/units in the Cal Athletics Department and the Creative Services Team, including client outreach and vendor relations
- Project management for all requests directed at Creative Services
- Highlights: Brand transition from Nike partnership to Under Armour partnership, two redesigns of CalBears.com, creation of CalBearsBrand.com and CalAthleticsFund.com, rebranding all Cal facilities with new identity and marks
Chicago Sun-Times/Aggrego/Wrapports: 2007-2013
Aggrego Graphic Designer
Special Sections Graphic Designer
todrive.com Online Editor
- Started as design intern, promoted to graphic designer at conclusion of internship
- Created hundreds of ToDrive sections read by a total circulation of over 2 million readers. Designed and laid out ToDrive, an auto section that runs six times a week in the Chicago Sun-Times and Post-Tribune, and once weekly in suburban publications
- Curated the editorial content of todrive.com
- Designed many special Sun-Times sections including: Education, Casino & Gaming, Golf Guide, Health, Innovation, and NoirWoman
- Developed new look for Chicago Sun-Times newspaper boxes
- Developed marketing materials for use by advertising representatives such as e-mail blasts, presentations or leave-behinds
- Took on several overflow projects from Chicago Sun-Times as after hours, freelance work
- Promoted to Aggrego, a division of the Sun-Times’ parent company Wrapports, laying out special aggregated print content for Sun-Times Media publications
- Worked with Wrapports’ marketing team on special promotional campaigns
Freelance Graphic Design & Web Development
- Built an innovative, fully-responsive site for RadioEditAV
- Responsible for look and feel of the site using CSS3, jquery and html
- Utilized WordPress to serve up content, such as video (youtube, vimeo), high quality photos and editorial (news and project descriptions)
- One of the only landscape orientated sites to be found on the web at the time
Loyola University Chicago School of Law
Burst Sports Academy
Wedding programs, menus and signage
Portfolios and other websites
Four Corners Tavern Group: 2004-10
Manager, Head Doorman, Bartender, DJ
Monckton Gallery: 2005-06
Custom Framing Assistant
The Ad People: 2001
Boy Scouts of America: 1998
- Managed the collection and distribution of used winter clothing for Eagle Scout Project.
- Donated clothing to Lawrence Hall, a home for abused and neglected children in Chicago.
My friends call me Big John
Lifelong doodler, designer and problem-solver.
Kellie’s husband and proud spouse to a nurse.
San Francisco resident. Chicagoland native.
Hiker. Runner. Sailor. Skier. Former college athlete, current men’s league lacrosse player. Love watching the Cubs, Bears and Blackhawks.
Avid book reader of Science Fiction, History, City Planning, Futurism & Technology, Leadership & Management and Graphic Novels.
A few of my favorite movies are: The Iron Giant, The Empire Strikes Back and Rear Window.
Steadily improving cook. Beer enthusiast (especially Stouts & Porters). Learning about wine.
Never done learning, adding new skills or trying to see the world from a different angle.